Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 31

Note about my review of Captain Phillips and why they did not have armed guards - Jim Cannon, Lucy's husband shared this reason:  

The boats cannot be armed as they would then be considered  combatants, it is an international law..
 
Carol Frank correctly identified "Fear can hold you prisoner.....Hope can set you free"  coming from Shawshank Redemption

Try this one:

"A gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it."


On Netflix:

Sparkle -  This was Whitney Houston's last film, but the real star was Jordan Sparks of American Idol fame.  The story is predictable and slight.  The real star of the film was the music especially songs sung by Sparks.  It is sad to see Houston knowing that she died soon after the filming of this movie.  What a wasted life.  To pass a few hours, you can put this on your list, but better yet listen to an old Whitney Houston album.  :-)O:-)

Gravity - This well touted film was a disappointment to both Sy and me.  Don't get me wrong the cinematography is amazing and we did see it in 3D, but the story was thin and in our opinion not very interesting. Sandra Bullock is fine and George Clooney is quite funny, but not enough to make this a good film.  We also did not think that the 3D added much to it.  I think when a film receives such wonderful reviews it is sometimes hard to live up to them and as the viewer we set the bar much higher for enjoyment.  See it for yourself and let me know.  :-)O:-)

TV Update:

As the season has worn on, I am finding very few show I have added to my DVR list.   I am getting a kick out of the Robin Williams show "The Crazy Ones."  I am still hanging in there for "hostages", but my patience is growing thin for the ridiculous story.  Those are the only two I am still watching.  Some of my favorites are getting better this year.  "The Good Wife" has added a lot of tension and "Scandal" is so much fun to watch.

DWTS:

Coming down to the home stretch and I must say there a a number of excellent dancers left:  Corbin, Elizabeth and Amber top my list with Jack as a sentimental favorite.  It is time for the comedian and Lisa R. to go.

Roberta

No comments: