Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12

On Netflix:

Delicacy - I guess I am continuing in my French phase.  This subtitled film stars Audrey Tautao as she plays a young woman who is brought out of grief by a caring male co worker.  It is very sweet.  Not a lot of action and slowly played out, but a lovely little film.  On a cold, snowy day a good way to pass the time. 
;-);-)

Hello I Must Be Going - This indie film starts Melanie Lynskey who played Charlie Sheen's crazy girlfriend on "Two and a Half Men."  In the film she plays a young woman who moves back into her parents' home after a divorce.  She finds the meaning of love in an unexpected way.  Although a bit slow at times, the story was a good one and well developed.  It was good to see Blythe Danner and John Rubinstein as her parents.  I might wait until you can get this on streaming or it appears on the Sundance channel rather than using up a place in your queue.  
:-)O:-)

On Netflix and Streaming:

The Sapphires - What a delightful film based on true events.  A group of Australian aborigine singers (three sisters and one cousin in the film, but in real life two and two) want to sing.  With the discrimination of the 50's through 70's against aborigines in Australia, they had limited opportunity until they decide to sing to the soldiers in Viet Nam.  A  feel good film.  
;-);-)

A note about the recent The Sound of Music Live 

I know Carrie Underwood and her co star Stephen Moyer were panned in this production, but she does have a lovely voice and you can't help but love the score.  For that reason alone, I enjoyed the production.  Underwood should keep singing and either get a better acting coach or leave the acting to others.  The male lead was a bit stiff, but I can't say that I hated it.  Tears always come to my eyes when I watch this film.  As usual Audra McDonald was superb.  You also have to give them credit in that it was live and no major flub was committed.  I did like how they moved from scene to scene i.e. from the house to the chapel.   Also remember this production was based on the Broadway show not the classic Julie Andrews' film which is the gold standard for this production.  Just my thoughts

A shout out to high school music programs:

Last night the Woodson music department put on their annual winter concert.  Over two hundred students are involved in this program.  Groups included Women's, Men's,  Mixed Choral, Select Men's and Women's Ensemble so it was a jammed packed evening.  What struck me the most that in this day of being politically correct, this program had a wonderful balance of Christmas, Chanukah and music sung in other languages ie Spanish, Russian which simply highlighted our diversity.  I love the disclaimer in the program - "The Fairfax County Public Schools Music Program of Studies requires the performance of literature that is both sacred and secular.  Balance of music selected and performed from among historical and contemporary composers, genres and periods is achieved through the course of a year's instruction and not within any individual concert."  Well stated!.  

Just in case I don't post before the end of the year as we are going away, I would like to wish all my friends who celebrate Christmas a very Merry Christmas and everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year.


Roberta

No comments: