Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March 26

In Theaters:

The Grand Budapest Hotel - This Wes Anderson directed movie is in one word quirky.  When it first started, I said to myself I am going to hate it, but as it went on it grew on me.  Ralph Fiennes playing the concierge Gustave H and his lobby boy Zero played by Mathieu Amalric were wonderful in their roles. The story almost plays out as an English farce with someone dying, a stolen painting and running from the law.  Anderson has a tradition of including cameos of his favorite actors.  In this one F. Murray Abraham, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Willian Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum. Jude law, Harey Keitel, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson and Tilda Swinton are a few that have brief, but important roles in the film.  We went with three other couples and there was no consesus on the film as one person laughed out loud and one fell asleep.  I am somewhere in the middle.
:-):-)

On Netflix:

Girl Most Likely - This indie dramady stars Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon, Darren Criss (Blake from Glee) and Cristopher Fitzgereld.  Not sure how I even found it and why it was on my queue, but glad it was.  It tells the story of a struggling playwright (Wiig) who tries to fit into the New York scene.  When her boyfriend leaves her, she stages an unsuccessful suicide to get him back..  She goes home to her mother (Annette Benning)  in Atlantic City and the story evolves from there.  It is touching and fun.  
:-):-)

Excellent Read:

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks - Although I am sure many of you have read this wonderful book, I am just getting around to reading it as many classes I have taken at OLLI as well as at my temple have referred to it.  Although this is a work of fiction, it is inspired by the true story of the Sarajevo Haggadah.  Some of the facts are true, but most of the plot and all the characters are imaginary.  The book goes back and forth from present day to the past as it traces the journey of this marvelous book.  The main character, Hanna Heath, uncovers clues to its history as she analyses and works to conserve it.  Brooks then retells these peoples' stories as they saved the book and how they came to work on it  A page turning historical novel is the best way to describe it.  If you haven't read it, do so,  you won't be disappointed.

BBC Production

The Six Wives of Henry VIII - I am watching this series though an OLLI class.  It is the 1970 BBC series starring Emmy Award winning Keith Mitchell as this colorful king.  This past week was Catherine of Aragon and it was very well done.  It is on Netflix both in discs and streaming.  It is worth your time.

DWTS:


I have to say this is the worse season of the show.  I don't care for the "stars" and except for the ice dancers, they aren't very good.  Will I still watch it, perhaps.  Although I am able to watch the two hour show in 30 minutes as I DVR it and only watch the dancing.  I think the show is ready to "jump the shark."

No comments: