Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5

Florrie, Melissa, Allison and Carol Frank correctly identified "How do you explain school to a higher intelligence" coming from ET

Try this one:

"I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!"

On Netflix:

Charlie St. Cloud
- This film has been in my house even before I went off to Israel. I finally had the opportunity to watch it yesterday. Was it worth the wait? Not quite. Was it enjoyable? perhaps. The story is a bit slow and confusing, but Zac Efron of Disney fame is an acceptable actor. Your tweens will love this film simply because he is in it. It is the story of how the death of his brother stalls his growth and prevents him from moving on until a crisis forces him into action. It is sweet. :-):-)

Local Theater:

"Side by Side by Side By Sondheim" at -Signature Theater in Shirlington, VA - This four singer review with two pianists performed Sondheim's early works from Gypsy to West Side Story to Company to Follies and a few other songs from shows that didn't quite make it on Broadway. I will admit, I am not a crazy Sondheim fan, but am fond of his earlier works where he basically wrote the lyrics and not the score. Whenever I see a show like this one, I realize how many really talented performers there are out there. In fact, I never understood how Bernadette Peters became a Broadway darling and a Sondheim one at that. That being said, the afternoon performance flew by as I hummed along with some of my favorites and was introduced to ones I was not quite familiar with. The Signature Theater is situated right in the Shirlington Village that has lots of free parking and many fine restaurants. This performance will be there for another week and we got our tickets through Gold Star. So......if you are free this coming week, I highly recommend this production.

Book Recommendation?

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery - Notice that there is a question mark after the recommendation. I didn't love this book nor did I hate it. In fact, if the author got to the "good" part before half way through the book, I would have liked it even more. It was about the relationship between Renae Michel, concierge, Paloma Josse, a 12 year old tenant and Kakuro Ozu their new tenant. Without going into the story. It revolves around these people and the secrets the two women keep and how they help each other come to terms with who they are. It isn't a long book and people said it was hard to get into, but try it out and decide for yourself.

I am sure now that I have caught up with all my TV tapings and there is nothing on TV now, I'll be seeing more movies.

Roberta

No comments: