Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 23

Carol Frank and Mark Bunney were the only two who correctly identified "Today everything is different. There's no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food. Right after I got here I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and catsup. I'm an average nobody."coming from Good Fellas

Try This one:

"They're skilled munitions workers. They're essential. Essential girls. Their fingers polish the insides of shell metal casings. How else am I to polish the insides of a forty-five millimeter shell casing? You tell me, you tell me."

At local theaters:

The Ides of March
- This is the Ryan Gosling season. First we saw him in Drive and now The Ides of March. What a different role and what a good job he did with it. This is a great movie to see if you love the workings of politics and a political campaign. It is said to be based on the Howard Dean campaign manager. The cast is first rate. George Clooney looks presidential and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti as opposing campaign managers are super as well. Marisa Tomei has a small role, but does it well. A movie worth seeing.
:-):-):-)

On Netflix:

The Concert - This French film is billed as a comedy, but at most it is a dramady. It is a story about a maestro who had been disgraced 30 years prior during a performance by the Russians due to his resistance in letting go his Jewish musicians. It tells how he gathers his former colleagues together to play for the French. He also has another secret which comes out in the movie. The music is glorious and the film engaging. It was up for a Foreign Film Academy Award. ;-);-)O:-)

On Netflix and the New channel I found:

No Strings Attached
- This movie came out before Friends With Benefits which is a much better film. The real problem here is that I felt there was a lack of chemistry between the leads: Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher. Kutcher does not do it for me as a leading romantic male star. Portman does best in dramas. It is not a horrible film, but since the other has come out, it pales in comparison. Kevin Kline does a good job as Kutcher's father. See both and decide for yourself. ;-);-)

The choice of films is slim this week. I hope some better ones arrive at the theaters soon!

Roberta

No comments: