Friday, October 7, 2011

October 7

Carol Frank, Yolanda and Betty correctly identified "I have plenty to say to women. I've been an unemployed actor for twenty years, George. You know that. I know what it's like to sit by the phone waiting...for it to ring. And when I finally get a job, I have no control. Everybody else has the power and I got zip." coming from Tootsie.

Try this one:

"But there is one way in this country in which all men are created equal. An institution that makes a pauper the equal of a Rockefeller, the ignorant man the equal of any president, and the stupid man the equal of Einstein. That institution is the court."


On Netflix:

Made in Dagenham
- This film is based on the true story of the 1968 labor strike by hundreds of women who rebelled against discrimination and demanded the same pay as men for their work in a London Ford manufacturing plant. Their success led to the equal pay law in England which spread to all industrialized countries at that time. The film has an entire English cast. Sally Hawkins stars with Miranda Richardson and Bob Hoskins as her co stars. It is a bit slow and I watched it in two sittings to make it more watchable. I also put the subtitles on to make sure I didn't miss any of the dialogue. Can't say if I really liked it or not, so see for yourself.
:-):-)

Waiting for Superman
- I actually watched this on a new network I found recently on my Cox subscription. It is call Epix who show pretty new movies. Unfortunately for those of you who have Comcast or Direct TV, they are not offering this channel. Anyway, I recorded this documentary a few nights ago and boy did it hit home. As an educator, I found it something that I knew, but also disturbing. Believe it or not, I do not believe in tenure. When people do not have to earn their jobs day by day or year by year, some tend to become lazy. This is not only in schools, but look at our government! I am sure all my teacher friends can think of one or two teachers who are in the system and should not be there. The people who suffer are the kids. Some schools are doing amazing things, but remember all charter schools are not alike. So although I applaud this film, you have to take it with a grain of salt too. If you are an educator, do yourself a favor and see it with an open mind and if you are not, please do not categorize all teachers who teach in the public schools as bad and/or lazy.

On Netflix and Instant Streaming:

Shine of Rainbows - Since I had to stay indoors and relax while recuperating from some dental surgery, I watched this film on instant streaming through our Wii. It is an Irish movie starring Connie Nielsen and Aiden Quinn. Since you cannot show subtitles on the Wii system. (I don't know how to do it and if someone does, please let me know.) at times it was hard to understand the actors. It is a tearjerker with Quinn playing the brooding husband, a part he tends to play, who has trouble accepting the 8 year old orphan his wife,(Nielsen) wants to adopt. It is a bit schmaltzy and would be better set as a Lifetime movie, but did pass the afternoon in a fine way.
:-)O:-)

A few good movies are headed our way, so catch one soon.

Roberta

No comments: