Thursday, March 8, 2012

March 8

Yolanda, Carol Frank and Betty correctly identified "They come from the end of the line, most of them. Small towns you've never heard of, Polaski, Tennessee, Brandon, Mississippi, Port Bend, Utah, Wampum, Pennsylvania....They're the unwanted, yet they are fighting for our society, and our freedom. It's weird, isn't it?" coming from Platoon.

Try this one:

"Especially important is the warning to avoid conversations with the demon. We may ask what is relevant, but anything beyond that is dangerous. He's a liar, the demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us, but he will also mix lies with the truth to attach us."

Bill wrote the following after my last review: "I agree very much with some of your review of The Iron Lady. I thought both Meryl Streep and the actor who played her husband did a glorious job. My issue, which I believe is what many of the critics suggested, is that too much of the movie was based on Thatcher as she is today. I have no issue going from the present back in time - in fact I think it is a clever way to frame the movie. But I would argue that the balance of the movie was in present day. To be honest, I learned nothing more about Margaret Thatcher than what could be read on Wikipedia, and I do think there is a story there. I would have loved to know more about her ascent to power, I am sure there is a very good story to be told about her relationship with her children. I wanted more on the career of the Iron Lady. That is where the movie left me unfulfilled. Those are my two cents!"

Since I am writing this after the Oscars were presented, these are my thoughts about them
This was an Oscar show that had absolutely no surprises. I personally think there are too many award shows that preceded it and therefore made this one old hat before it even aired. They also need to cut it down to at least two hours. The SAG awards does a great job of keeping it to that length.

On Netflix:

Sarah's Key
- I read this book a while back and really found it engaging, but it also made me angry at the French. This film holds true to the book and
Kristin Scott Thomas does a good job with the role. The story goes back and forth from present day to Paris of 1942 when the Jews were rounded up by the French and eventually sent to the camps. Most French did not know this about their past and since the book there has been a recognition of the tragic event. It is not your usual Holocaust film and it is not graphic at all. It is French with subtitles, but English is spoken as well. For a thought provoking film, see this one. :-):-)

Hugo
- I didn't get to see this film in 3D, but it was impressive all the same. It is a lovely story and a homage to movies of old - sort of like The Artist theme. It deserved the awards it received for cinematography and it was visually pleasing. It is nice to see Scorsese do a family type movie. A note - in regular def, I don't think it would hold the attention of young children or teenagers; it drags a bit and is very long. So I guess I am saying it is an adult movie. For those of you who can find it, there was a segment a few weeks back on Sunday Morning about automatons which I found interesting. Ben Kingsley does a nice job as the old man and the young actors Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz are quite engaging.
:-):-)O:-)


DWTS:

It is that time again, DWTS starts in March. It will be interesting to see how the stars fare. I don't like Sherry from the View, but other than her, I have no particular favorites. I won't be home when it starts, but will be able to catch up thanks to the DVR!

Sy and I will be away from March 10 to the 22 so you won't be getting any Roberta Reviews for awhile, but keep watching and going to the movies!

Ciao (we're going to Italy),
Roberta

No comments: