Sunday, June 15, 2014

May 14

As many of you know, Sy and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Eastern Europe.  As usual, I was able to watch four films in total on my flights to and from the US.  Here are my reviews of them:

On Planes and probably on Netflix or about to be released:

August: Osage County - I have to say I agree with the reviewers, the acting was superb, but the story tedious and depressing.  A death brings a dysfunctional family of daughters together.  The interaction between them and the secret that unfolds is disturbing.  I did see the play and did "enjoy" it then, but somehow in film form, it was not satisfying.  Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts head an all star cast who are all amazing. Not a film I would put at the head of my queue.  :-)

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - The second movie I saw was this one and it was quite good.  Not only did it hold my attention throughout, it was fun and exciting.  Chris Pine has taken over the role of Jack Ryan a CIA analyst and does a fine job with it.  I loved both Kevin Cosner and Keira Knightley in it as well.  The story has been told time and again - Ryan saves the US economy from disaster, but for pure escapism, it is worth of watch.  :-):-)

Her - This film is categorized as a sci fi romantic comedy and that it is, but it is quite bizarre.  Joaquin Phoenix stars as a lonely writer who has all the tech bells and whistles in his life and falls in love with his operating system voiced by Scarlett Johansson.  A bit of a stretch, yes, but I could see it happening especially to the young people who are so attached to their devices and have little social skills.  A film that makes you think, but not quite my cup of tea.  :-)

Grudge Match - Before you all say is she kidding, this movie was a hoot.  Starring Sylvester Stallone and Robert Di Nero it tells the story of two washed up fighters who never had their final grudge match.  One does it for the money and the other for the glory.  There is a nice side story about relationships with Kim Bassinger.   Alan Arkin plays Styllone's manager and he is always good in the roles he plays.  Kevin Hart plays the promoter and he is very funny.  For a mindless film, but one that will make you laugh, see this one.  ;-):-)

In Theaters:

Draft Day - This was a sleeper.  The entire film takes place on one day - draft day for the NFL.  Kevin Costner plays the GM of the Cleveland Browns who has to make deals to secure a team he would be proud to call his own.  A side story with Jennifer Garner as the team's money person/lawyer is OK, but when they talk football it is even better.  A shot clock counts down the hours before the actual draft which makes the movie very suspenseful.  I couldn't leave my seat while waiting to see what would transpire.  Although I thought it would be a Moneyball rip-off, it was not. They also used a split screen technique which was very interesting and moved the story along. Denis Leary as the coach, Frank Langella as the owner and Ellen Burstyn as Costner's mother add to the ensemble.  Two actors from Veep - Timothy Simons (Jonah) and Kevin Dunn (Ben Caffrey) are featured as well.  Chadwick Boseman, a newcomer plays a draftee with heart.   For a great movie, even if you are not a sports fan, see this one.
;-);-)




DWTS:
It down to the finals and I must say the dancers are quite good.  I was disappointed That Charlie White, the ice skater, was  voted off this past week. I think Candace Cameron Bure is on only because she appeals to Middle America and the religious right (some of her comments about obeying her husband makes me gag!)  I have never liked Peta Murgatroyd, the professional dancer, so cannot root for her partner James Maslow who if I am being honest quite good. I believe that the final will come down to Derrick and his partner Amy Purdy and Maks and Meryl Davis, the ice skater.  They both are wonderful in their own ways. Watching Amy, a double amputee, is awe inspiring, but watching Meryl is beauty in motion. Just because he has never won, I'd like to see Maks win.   Time will tell if I am right!


No comments: