Sunday, June 15, 2014

May 26

On Netflix:

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete - I have had this film in my house since before we went away.  For some reason I kept putting off watching it, but finally decided to do it today   I am so glad I did not send it back before viewing it.  It was a poignant story that showed the loyalty and friendship of two young boys who are put in an unimaginable situation.  How they try to survive and the loyalty and friendship they exhibit when their mothers are arrested is a touching story. I made sure to see the credits as I thought for sure it was based on a true story.  The two young boys, Skylan Brooks and Ethan Dizon, who play the leads are marvelous and turn in convincing performances.  When you see a film like this, you realize how fortunate you are.  For a life affirming film, seen this one.
:-):-)

On Netflix and Streaming:

Masterpiece Classic:  Great Expectations 2011 - I must admit that my book group had this Dickens novel as their May selection and I never got around to reading it.  The day before the meeting, I decided to read a synaposis on the internet and then had the brilliant idea to see if Netflix had the video.  To my delight, they had various versions, but one from the BBC that I could stream.  So for three hours I sat and watched the series.  As with most Masterpiece Classics on BBC, it was very well done and true to the book.  The cast was unknown to me and the young actor playing Pip, Douglas Booth,  was in a word beautiful, not handsome, beautiful.  I was able to hold my own in the discussion and point out differences in the film version.  I felt like a cheating high schooler who did not do their homework, but enjoyed the film and the discussion as well.
:-):-)


At Signature:

The Threepenny Opera - This play was written in the 1920's based on John Gay's 1728 The Beggar's Opera.  Signature has modernized and updated the play in this production .  This time the play is set in the future surrounding the coronation of King William V (currently Prince William).  The Signature version portrays a world with violent crime, kickbacks, prostitution and poverty.  I had never seen the play and the only familiarity I had with it was Bobby Darin's version of "Mack the Knife."  The song he sang and the play I saw were not connected at all.  As always, the actors in this production were first rate.  Once again, Erin Driscoll, our favorite, played a major role as Polly, Mac's wife.  To say the play is dark is an understatement and you don't go out singing the songs.  In fact, it was hard to understand many of the lyrics.  Sy thought it was weird and hard to relate to.  Did I enjoy it, not sure as it is not your typical musical, but I am glad I saw it.  We also got rush tickets since we were in Shirlington meeting a new friend who met on our recent trip who is relocating to this area and after lunch we just went over to the theater and there were tickets to be had.  It was Memorial Day weekend and perhaps many had left town.

DWTS:

Well finally I agree with the outcome.  Although Meryl Davis is an ice skating dancer, I am glad she and Maks won.  It is about time he won and their dances were poetry in motion.  Although I did not know the contestants this season, I think the dancing was first rate.

Happy Memorial Day weekend.  Enjoy the beautiful weather on the east coast!

Roberta


No comments: