Friday, May 4, 2012

April 24


I was surprised to see so many of you knew the answer to last week's quote and three were people who do not submit guesses frequently.  Florrie, Jeff, Allison, Eric  and Carol Frank correctly identified "I for one, do not think that the problem was that the band was down, I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.  That tended to undermine the hugeness of the object." coming from This is Spinal Tap

Another hard one:

"Many, many people contributed to my tardiness.  I would like to thank my parents for never giving me a ride to school, the LA city bus driver who took a chance on an unknown kid, and last but not least, the wonderful crew from McDonald's who spend hours making those Egg McMuffins without which I'd never be tardy."

On Netflix and Instant Streaming:

The Names of Love - This French comedy was a delightful surprise.  It is the story of Baya a left wing femme fatale who sleeps with men to change their political views.  She finally meet her match in a gentleman who has similar views, but is hiding some dark secrets of his own.  Be prepared for quite a bit of nudity as this is a French film, but the story is engrossing and funny.  ;-);-)

Guest Review by Bill Podolski:

Bully: 
After hearing an interview with the director, this past weekend I was compelled to go see "Bully" the documentary.  I encourage anyone who interacts with young people to go and see this film.  It is a documentary, therefore one should not expect to be 'entertained', but the depth of the content certainly keeps your attention.  The film profiles six young people who are victims of bullying at their schools, most of which are in rural 'forgotten' towns.  It is indeed a tough thing to watch.  I was struck most of all by the sense of powerless-ness held by all: the students being bullied, their parents, the teachers and even the administrators.  There are two assistant principals featured that will make you cringe every time they speak...  In the end, it is a powerful statement, and one that we all ought to be exposed to. 

Center for The Arts at George Mason University:

American Festival Pops Orchestra - Those of you who know me well, know how much I enjoy the music of Broadway.  While leafing through the Washington Post on Friday, I saw this group was schedule to do a Broadway program.  I was delighted to find out they had tickets available so went and had a wonderful time listening to this orchestra play tunes from Les Miz, Phantom, Man of La Mancha to name a few.  I am not sure if this orchestra is one that plays together on a regular basis or gets musicians as needed, but conducted by Anthony J. Maiello they produced a fantastic program.  Along with some talented instrumental soloist, a wonderful singer, Lisa Vroman, sang a few numbers.  Throughout the performance, there was a permanent smile on my face.  Wherever you live, don't pass up venues that may be right in your backyard.  You might be in for a pleasant surprise.


DWTS:

I found last night's show featuring performers from the Motown era sad.  Although some still had good voices, it is sad that they still have to perform.  I guess I want to remember them as they were in the 60's and 70's young, attractive and vital.  Smoky Robinson looked like he was drugged.  Just my opinion!  Also I think Gladys Knight should go tonight.

Roberta

No comments: