Thursday, February 28, 2013

February 28

Carol Frank, Yolanda, Betty, Eric, Florrie, and Lucy correctly identified  "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." coming frrom Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Try this one: "
I shall call him Squishy. And he shall be mine.And he shall be MY Squishy."

I shall call him Squishy. And he shall be mine. And he shall be MY Squishy.” — Finding Nemo - See more at: http://www.pajiba.com/guides/the-other-100-best-movie-quotes-of-all-time.php#sthash.T3S0XnZm.dpuf
shall call him Squishy. And he shall be mine. And he shall be MY Squishy.” — Finding Nem - See more at: http://www.pajiba.com/guides/the-other-100-best-movie-quotes-of-all-time.php#sthash.1sRA8cj3.dpuf
shall call him Squishy. And he shall be mine. And he shall be MY Squishy.” — Finding Nem - See more at: http://www.pajiba.com/guides/the-other-100-best-movie-quotes-of-all-time.php#sthash.1sRA8cj3.dpuf

In Theaters:

Quartet -   I had hoped this film would be like the Marigold Hotel from last year and although it dealt with the same issues, the former was a bit lighter.   The cast and acting is excellent.  I love Maggie Smith in everything she does and Billy Connolly is a hoot.  Tom Courtenay is still a very handsome man and good actor.  The premise is that a retirement home for musicians is putting on its annual celebration on Verdi's birthday and the quartet who sang this are residents at the facility.  Smith and Courtenay have history and that's all I will say. 
Perhaps if I were 40 and not closer in age to the people in the movie, I would have enjoyed it better.  That being said, it was a good movie.  During the credits, photographs of the actors as they were in their younger days appears next to their present photos.  Many of the ensemble are actual performers.  The music is lovely.  :-):-)O:-)

On Netflix:

Flight - Denzel Washington was up for the Academy Award for his portrayal of the alcoholic pilot.  Does Denzel Washington ever do anything poorly?   His character does a stunning job landing a plane and the action goes from there.  John Goodman is wonderful in a quirky role as his friend and "dealer." He has portrayed some very interesting characters this year.   Don Cheadle is also a good steady actor and he proves his worth in this film as well as the strong, no nonsense attorney. and Melissa Leo, who was unrecognizable to me,  also appears as
the official from the National Board investigating the accident.  For an exciting, thought provoking film, put this one on your list.  :-):-):-)

An Odd Read:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - This was the latest book I read with my book group.  To say it is odd is an understatement.  It is a mystery, suspense thriller.  The best way I can describe it is that is it like a car accident - you shouldn't look, but can't help yourself.  In this case, I didn't like the characters or story, but could not put it down.  Does that make it a good book?  Not sure.  Flynn said in an interview she wanted to explore violent women, not violence on women; simply violent women.  If that was her goal, she accomplished it in spades!  It is about two dysfunctional adults who find each other and so that I don't spoil the story, that is all I will say.   One person in our group described it as "beach" read.  I understand Reese Witherspoon has picked up the options on the book and I will be anxious to see it although many in the group said they would avoid it.


Well the Academy Awards were handed out and for the most part not many surprises.  No one film took it away and I agree as there were so many good films and performances.  I am very happy Argo won for best picture.  And even though the Post wrote a real snarky account of Seth MacFarland's job as host, I thought he did a great job.

Believe it or not Dancing With The Stars returns soon.  The new cast of "dancers" was revealed earlier this week.  Will I watch it - you betcha!

Roberta

No comments: