Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 7


Juli and Betty correctly identified  "Do, or do not. There is no "try" coming from The Empire Strikes Back.

Try this one:

"Sometimes I wish I had never met you. Because then I could go to sleep at night not knowing there was someone like you out there."

I am taking a few classes at OLLI (Osher Life Long Learners) that are showing films.  One class had us reading Goodbye Columbus and then we watched the film and the final week we will be comparing the two. Another class we are reading Vanity Fair and clips have been shown in the class.  I will watch it on Netflix after the class is over and the last class is just showing films to warm the heart.  Here are some of them.

On Netflix:

The Girl in the Cafe - This is an older film that  was originally shown on HBO in 2005.  It is a sweet story about a lonely civil servant played by Bill Nighy from Hotel Marigold who meets a young girl played by Kelly Macdonald of "Boardwalk Empire" and how she influences not only him, but the United Kingdom members at the G8 summit in Iceland.  Macdonald was nominated for an Emmy for her performance. The May December romance is tender and sweet.
;-);-)

Goodbye Columbus - This film was released in 1969.  As I watched the film, I thought it was a very true adaptation of the novella.  I was surprised that  this film was the one in which  Ali MacGraw' made her debut performance. It did bring back memories of the late '60's and '70's and showed how film making has changed.  If it were done today, the nudity would be much more obvious..  I enjoyed seeing both Richard Benjamin and Jack Klugman. This is a satire that touches on boundaries of class, race and religion as seen through a romance between two Jewish individuals; one who is a struggling librarian and the other a wealthy college student.   For a walk down memory lane, see this film.  The novella is very short so you can read it and compare the two as well.  I'll give you an update about the classes' reaction next posting.    :-):-)

On Netflix and Instant Streaming:

Cosi - This 1996 Australian/New Zealand film is a touching story about an unemployed director who takes a job at a psychiatric hospital to stage Mozart's Cosi fan tute.  The story does not make fun of these people, but tells how through the arts they start to cope with their problems.  Of course the plot is predictable, but enjoyable just the same.  The cast includes Toni Collette, Rachel Griffiths and Jacki Weaver who is up for an Academy Award for her portrayal of Bradley Cooper's mother in Silver Lining Playbook.  The other actors were not familiar to me.  This was a lovely film that will leave you smiling at its end. 
:-):-)

High School Theater:

Once again I need to give a shout out to my friend Bill P. who directs the annual H-B Woodlawn musical production.  This year the students staged How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.  The show was originally on Broadway with Robert Morse in the 60's and I remember it well.  The students did a lovely job with the play. I particularly liked the clever staging.  My granddaughters enjoyed it; especially the choreography.  The finale with the singing and dancing of of "Brotherhood of Man" was a hoot.  Way to go Bill and your talented cast and crew!


Not much at the theater, but I do hope to see Quartet as a number of you have told me how much you enjoyed it!  To my friends in the Northeast, stay safe and warm.  The weather forecast is not good!

Roberta

No comments: