Saturday, July 14, 2012

July 14

Carol Frank, David Heymsfeld , Allison, Juli, Florrie and Yolanda correctly identified, "A boy's best friend is his mother." coming from  Psycho

Apologies to Florrie as she too got last week's quote correct as well.

Try this one:  "Listen to me, mister.  You're my knight in shining armor.  Don't you forget it.  You're gong to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go.




Bill wrote about my review of Magic Mike last week:  "For your own validation, a bunch of my gay friends saw Magic Mike and left with the same review as you. I would never call you a prude!"

On 
Netflix

In Darkness
- This movie deals with the Holocaust as the Nazis overrun Warsaw.  A group of Jews take shelter in the sewer with the help of a Polish sewer inspector.  It is an important movie to see, but you have to be in the right frame of mind to see it.  It is very dark, both subject matter and the cinematography.  It also was a bit too long for my taste going almost two and a half hours.  It is based on a true story and shows how the reluctant hero's point of view changes as he interacts with the Jews. :-):-)

God on Tria
l - As I stated previously I am taking a class on Holocaust and Faith and this week the instructor showed this film to illustrate life in the camps.  It was powerful to say the least.  It is about a group of Auschwitz prisoners who decide to put God on trial. The tale is based pn anecdotal reports of an actual band of concentration camp inmates who convened a rabbinical court to determine how such evil could exist in a Godcentric universe as they awaited the determination of their own fates -- death or hard labor.  Difficult film to watch, but once again one that should be viewed.  :-):-)O:-)

On HBO and
Netflix:

Something Borrowed
-  Last week I reported on the novel that this film is based on and this week I caught it on TV.   It is a romantic comedy of two lifetime friends, Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin who are polar opposites, but who pine for one guy.  The Hudson character is engaged to him, but the Goodwin character is really his match.  Things unfold over a few months.  A pleasant film, but nothing special.  :-)O:-)

Glee - The Concert
-  For those of you who don't know, I am a Gleek a fan of the TV show Glee.  The talented cast has me singing along and tapping my toes to the music they perform each week.  The stories are OK, but the music divine.  This film was made from their US concert.  Many of their signature songs are performed as "Don't Rain on My Parade" sung by Lea Michelle.  For an entertaining 90 minutes, look for this film. 

As some of you know I had surgery Friday and am recuperating this week, so I will probably be watching more movies than usual.  Look for my reviews in the coming week.  If I had to review a hospital VA Hospital Center in Arlington would get high marks.

Roberta




No comments: