Friday, July 6, 2012

July 6

Yolanda and Carol Frank correctly identified"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."
Animal Crackers

Try this one:  "A boy's best friend is his mother."


Sandy Esterson just went up to New York to see "The Book of Mormon" and this is what she has to say:

You may want to give your readers a heads up on Book of Mormon.  It is totally irreverently good and campy as can be.  However, so funny and well done you can’t help but enjoy it.  I would say, anyway you can, get tickets for next summer at the Kennedy Center and get ready for a great show. So worth it!

As you know, Betsy Kemp, one of the recipients of Roberta's Reviews, daughter Erin Driscoll appears frequently in the Washington area and is married to James Gardiner who also appears around town.  For those of you who live in the Northern VA area, you might want to catch some of these shows.  This is what James wrote: 
"It's time for a little shameless self promotion. I'm doing my very first Signature Theatre cabaret of all James Taylor music on Friday, July 13th at 7:00 and 9:00 and would love to see your "Smiling Face" there ... get it?!? Get it!? Tickets are only $25, but seating is limited so try and get them as soon as possible. Tickets can be purchased online (at the links below) or over the phone at 703-820-9771. And check out the rest of the Sizzlin Summer Cabaret Series including my wife's cabaret "Get Happy: The Songs of Harold Arlen" on July 25th and Nick Blaemire and The Hustle #thesummerofnerdsoul on July 25th. "

Signature Sings James Taylor
Friday, July 13 @ 7pm
Buy Tickets
Friday, July 13 @ 9pm Buy Tickets
James Gardiner (The Boy Detective Fails, [title of show]) teams up with Emmy Award-winning pianist Lenny Williams and guitarist Steven Walker to salute the musical legacy of one of America’s favorite songwriters, James Taylor. With the help of Helen Hayes Award winners Carolyn Cole (Hairspray), Natasica Diaz (Brother Russia, Kiss of the Spider Woman), Erin Driscoll (HairsprayUrinetown) and Nova Y. Payton (Hairspray), the evening will explore everything from “Fire and Rain,” “Carolina in My Mind,” “You’ve Got A Friend” to “Steamroller Blues.

This is what Erin wrote:

"On July 25th, I am doing a cabaret of Harold Arlen songs at Signature theater as part of their Summer Sizzlin' Cabaret Series.  Now you might be asking, who is Harold Arlen?  He composed some of the best known songs in american music theater, such as Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Stormy Weather, Come Rain or Come Shine.  Should be a great night with special guests, the amazing Gabriel Mangiante on piano and even an upright bassist!  The link is below about tickets!  Hope to see you all there!"




Also, coming up is Pirates of Penzance at Encore Stage and Studio and Best Little Whorehouse in Texas at Signature.  Info below for those shows as well.  



In Theaters:

Magic Mike - This film is loosely based on Channing Tatum's experience as a male stripper.  It received wonderful reviews, but I was not impressed.  After seeing the men gyrating and showing their very taut asses a number of times, it got stale.  Cody Horn who plays the love interest never smiles and I had no idea why a hottie like Tatum's character would fall for her.  I did enjoy seeing Matt Bomer of "White Collar" as one of the strippers as well as Adam Rodriguez.  I know the critics thought Matthew McConaughey did a great job as the sleazy owner of the club, but once again not my cup of tea.  All the actors have exceptional bodies and can dance, but after the first 30 minutes the novelty wore off for me.  Perhaps I am showing my age, but I don't consider myself a prude, just thought is wasn't a very good movie.  By the way, Sy agreed with me.    :-)O:-)

A Beach Read:


Something Borrowed
by Emily Giffon - Sometimes you just want to read a light book and not think about any deep meaning.  This book fits the bill.  I read it in two sittings and believe me it will not win any prizes,but it was an enjoyable way to spend the time.  It is about two life long friends and what happens when one falls for the other's fiance.  It was made into a movie this year and I have it on my Netflix list so I'll be reviewing it in a few weeks.   Not a Pulitzer, but enjoyable.

Once again this weekend's temperatures will be in the triple digits so you might want to see a movie.

Roberta

No comments: