Sunday, July 22, 2012

July 22

Carol Frank, Ursula, Don and Florrie were correct in identifying "Listen to me, mister.  You're my knight in shining armor.  Don't you forget it.  You're gong to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go."  from On Golden Pond.

Try this one:  "Wait a minute, Wait a minute, you ain't heard nothing yet."

On Netflix

Joyful Noise - I needed a film that would lift me up and not take too much brain power and this film fit the bill.  It stars Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah who belong to a church choir who dream of winning a national contest.  The voices of the two young stars are outstanding and it is just a plain feel good movie.  No awards in sight, but just good fun.
;-)O:-)

Footloose
- Continuing with the feel good movie, I moved this film up on my list this week.  Although I didn't watch it constantly, the plot was not too difficult to follow.  It is a remake of the older film about a town who bans dancing after a horrific traffic accident takes the life of five teens after a dance.  My granddaughter Amanda liked the move, but mostly the dancing.  Julianne Hough of "Dancing With The Stars" is one of the stars.  It met my need.  ;-)O:-)


Pariah - This indie film traces the steps of an African American teen who comes to terms with her sexuality.  Knowing that her family will have a difficult time accepting her choices due to their religious beliefs, she tries to hide them from her lifestyle. A very short film, less than 90 minutes, but interesting,.  I did not know any of the stars, but Spike Lee was one of the producers.  :-)O:-)

Excellent Read:

The Lost Wife
by Alyson Richman - A love story that spans decades as a old man finds his lost wife at his grandson's rehearsal dinner.  The novel is told as a flashback and the background is the Holocaust.  How these two people meet, fall in love and what happens once the Nazis take over is a powerful read.  It is graphic, but not so much as to be sensational.  A very fast read and one that will stick with you days after you complete it.

Enjoy,
Roberta

No comments: